Sunday 2 October 2011

A day at work

Today is Friday the 30th of September. On this day i began work at 7am in the morning and finished at 12:30pm in order to make my 1pm lecture. I opened the cafe right on time and got the machine flushed, cloths rinsed and grinds through all before 7:05am, and no customers to my relief! The first coffee i made was for my boss and myself as we tend to enjoy our coffee together, chatting (while i am putting the cakes out). we both drink a small trim flat white. Today was her birthday so i wrapped red ribbon around her cup and wrote on the top 'i am a birthday coffee' she found humor in this and was quite stoked about it :) I then saw two regular customers pull up outside so i began making there coffees at the same time (knowing what they would have). They walked in while one made general chit chat to me and my boss. Once the coffee had extracted i stirred the sugars in making sure it was well aborbed and that the cremer was still adequate.Because I had frothed the milk at the same time using the big jug their coffees were ready together. One customer then spoke of how he missed my coffee in the morning (as i am now working afternoons instead of afternoons to fit with my polytech time-table). This was a boost to my self confidence so early in the morning, just what i needed! My workmate then arrived and began other tasks while i stayed working on the machine. It was extremely busy this particular morning so i felt under-pressure and rushed. I therefore didnt take the time i would have usually have spent on each coffee, this resulted in a lack of milk or bubbly coffee. i began getting annoyed and fustrated that the milk wasnt doing what i needed it to do, which demotivated my work ethic. Another contributor to this was the fact that my co-worker and i were not on speaking terms. I felt uncomfortable and stressed while making coffees. Not such a good day at work....

The domain of interest this week was really appreciating how important it is to build rapport with co-workers. The relationship between co-workers and bosses has impact of the feel of the environment both for customers and the employees.  The way i feel when producing a coffee has affect on the final product, this can be related to stress, pressure, anxiety, anger and confidence as well as many other feelings we as human beings experience.
The best way to build good team work and rapport with co-workers is through the four Cs -- commonalities, connectivity, communication, and collaboration.

"The single most important ingredient in the formula for success is knowing how to get along with people." -- Teddy Roosevelt
(http://deborah-s-hildebrand.suite101.com/building-solid-work-relationships-a33852)

1 comment:

  1. Some awesome info in this post jaz your blog is very detailed. good use of references however in this post they are not referenced at the end? keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete